The main beach at Unawatuna is quite popular amongst both tourists and locals. The wide stretched beaches offer some good swimming and a neighborhood of the beach is occupied with sunbeds to rent. On the West End of the beach, there's a little walk to a pagoda statue overlooking the bay.
The beach is directly connected to the town center with a lot of little restaurants and bars. There is an excellent beach vibe happening here even after sunset.
These are some of the most popular beaches in Unawatuna, that you can pay a visit during your trip to Unawatuna:
1. Unawatuna Bay Beach - This is the main beach which is quite popular. You can go swimming here or you can just rent a Sunbed and take rest.
2. Wijaya Beach: This is one of the most photographed beach of Sri Lanka. This beach is also referred ad the Beach Swing because of the rope attached to the coconut tree. You can swing around and enjoy the picturesque beach.
3. Dalawella Beach: This beach is surrounded by huge rocks. This is one of the most Secluded and quiet beaches of Sri Lanka. You can enjoy some alone time just with the nature surrounding you.
4. Jungle Beach: Situated right opposite to the main beach, this secluded beach offers some great adventures. You can take a boat ride upto this beach and indulge yourself in the activities like snorkeling, horse riding and also admiring the colonial bungalows built by the Dutch commanders and merchants living in Galle.
5. Mihiripenna Beach: This beach, too, is quiet and secluded and is close to the Ocean's shoreline. You can enjoy the sunrise and the sunset at this picturesque beach.
The best time to visit Unawatuna Beach would be between December – April, and between July until the end of September.
Timings are subject to change. You will be automatically booked into a time slot as part of the check out process. Please visit the official website to confirm the time slot before your visit.
1. Rent a sunbed, lie down and enjoy the beach waves and beach air.
2. Take a stroll at the Japanese Peace Pagoda statue.
3. Enjoy meals and drinks at the cafes and restaurants.
4. Enjoy the exquisite sunset while sipping some exotic drinks.
5. Enjoy swimming in the ocean.
6. Explore the adventurous side by surfing in the ocean.
7. Take a stroll around the Galle Town
8. Surf in the ocean.
9. Observe the Stilt fishermen.
10. Go Scuba Diving at the Jungle Beach.
11. Go for Snorkelling at the Jungle Beach.
12. Indulge in the retail therapy at the shops nearby.
13. Party your way to the sunset.