The Basler Münster Cathedral is one of the most famous landmarks in Basel.
With red stones, colorful roof tiles, and twin towers, no other building complements the cityscape of Basel like the Cathedral.
The former episcopal church was built between the years 1019 and 1500 in the Romantic and Gothic Styles. The crypt, the chancel, the tomb of Erasmus of Rotterdam, the Gallus gate, and the two cloisters are a witness to the fascinating construction which was carried out for several centuries.
The piazza during which the Cathedral stands is today a well-liked forum and is usually used for concerts and events. The Pfalz - the terrace offering wonderful views over the Rhine - is one of the most popular viewpoints in the city.
In circa 1200, the cathedral had five towers, but three collapsed during the Basel earthquake of 18 October 1356. Only the two towers on the facade were rebuilt: to the left, St George’s tower (in 1428), and to the right, St Martin’s tower (in 1500). St George’s tower is 67.30 meters high, and St Martin’s tower 65.50 meters.
A striking feature of the cathedral is its red color, which is visible from far away. It is red sandstone, which was used for construction and originated a brief distance up the Rhine from Degerfelden and Wiesental across the German border. Both the outer structure and therefore the interior combines Late Roman and Gothic elements. While the facade features a Gothic appearance, the Late Roman influence is discernible on the transept, choir, and within the interior.
The Middle Ages saw the consecration of the Basel cathedral as an episcopal church of the Bishopric of Basel and Mary, the Mother of God, and to the Ottonian Emperor Henry II. It has served because of the main church of the Evangelical Reformed Church of Basel-Stadt since the Reformation (1529).
Timings are subject to change. You will be automatically booked into a time slot as part of the check out process. Please visit the official website to confirm the time slot before your visit.